Literacy Breakout Edu over Restart by Gordon Korman
Game Designer: Stephanie Laird @LairdLearning, LairdLearning.com
Content Areas: Reading
Recommended Ages: 3rd-6th grade
Ideal Group Size: Whole Class
Suggested Time: 30-40 minutes
While recording Brenden’s newest viral video idea, “Dog Walker in Rollerblades,” the group came across a box with several locks. Wondering what was inside, Chase and Brenden wanted to solve the clues, but realized video club was about to begin, and they have 10 dogs to return! Can you help Chase and Brenden by solving the clues and unlocking the box before they return? You have 30 minutes to unlock the box. Your time starts now.
- 3-Digit Lock 982
- 4-Digit Lock 8263
- ABC Lock START
- Directional Lock ←←↓→ ↑
- Key Lock Taped to a football
- Print out all clue cards
- Put together the cipher wheel
- On one piece of each film strip, write in invisible ink one of the numbers for the 3 digit lock. Cut apart pieces.
- Place flashlight and cipher wheel in small breakout box. Lock with the key lock.
- Place the film strip pieces and the map in another small box. Lock this with the ABC lock.
- Hide all clues and decoder lens around the room.
- Tape the key to the football
- Using the hasp, the directional lock, the 3 digit lock, and the 4 digit lock, lock the Breakout Box.
- How did your group utilize each individual’s strengths?
- How did you contribute to your team?
- Did everyone in your group have an opportunity to contribute?
- Describe a moment in the game when your team worked well together.
- How could your group have been more effective?
- Decoder Lens
- UV Pen
- UV Flashlight
CCSS: RL.1, RL.2, RL.3