Game Designer: Stephanie Laird @LairdLearning, LairdLearning.com
Content Areas: Reading
Recommended Ages: 3rd-6th grade
Ideal Group Size: Whole Class
Suggested Time: 45 minutes
This morning, Mr. Browne dropped off a box containing messages from Auggie. Don’t worry, unlike the notes Julian left for Auggie and Jack, these are Wonderful. To open the box, you will need to work together and use lessons you have learned from Auggie’s life. Remember, we’re all wonders! You have 45 minutes to problem solve and Breakout. Your time starts now!
- 3-Digit Lock 301
- 4-Digit Lock 1010
- ABC Multi-Lock KIND!
- Directional Lock →↓←↑←
- Key Lock Taped to On that day’s precept in 365 Days of Wonder
- Color clock White, Yellow, Red, White, Blue
- Print out all clue cards
- On the back of each precepts card, use invisible ink to write one letter to spell out: CHOOSE KIND!) Hide precept cards around the room.
- Tape the key on the 365 Days of Wonder page that corresponds to the date the Breakout will be played. Place book somewhere in the room
- Cut the arrows apart and place around the room.
- Cut the color images apart and place around the room. (These will unlock the color lock)
- Hide the Birthday and Halloween party invitations around the room.
- Hide the flashlight around the room.
- Using the hasp, lock the Breakout Box with the directional lock, 3 digit lock, 4 digit lock, word lock, color lock, and key lock on the hasp.
- How did your group utilize each individual’s strengths?
- How did you contribute to your team?
- Did everyone in your group have an opportunity to contribute?
- Describe a moment in the game when your team worked well together.
- How could your group have been more effective?
Checkout a copy of 365 Days of Wonder from your school library.
Optional: Wonder bookmarks or Choose Kind pledge to be placed inside the Breakout Box
CCSS: RL.1, RL.2, RL.3