Sample Questions (taken from the class we did our first Mystery Skype with)
1. Are you in the United States
2. Are you west of the Mississippi River
3. Are you in the ___________ region
4. Is your state larger than Illinois in total area
5. Do you border a body of water
6. Do you border another country
7. Is there an NFL team in your state
8. Is your state's population greater than 5 million
9. Does your state border more than 5 states
10. Is your capital ______________
11. Is your state ___________
Students, teachers, and administrators alike all enjoy and see the benefits of Mystery Skype. It introduces students to peers from around the country, and allows them to learn more about the states than they could from a textbook alone. Students can frequently be heard asking when the next Mystery Skype will occur, which cannot always be heard when talking about other content area learning.
If you are interested in setting up a Mystery Skype for your class there are a few avenues you can pursue. First, if you are not on twitter, you need to sign up! Twitter is an invaluable PLN where you can connect with teachers around the world. On Twitter, follow #mysteryskype and you will find hundreds of teachers ready to connect. Second, sign up for Skype in education, a fabulous website that not only connects you with classroom and experts, but has a dedicated Mystery Skype section as well.
I encourage you to give Mystery Skypes a try! You will not regret it, and your students will have a blast!